Skip to content

Residence and Permits

In the following, you can read more about residence and permits. For specific information about the different permits, click on the pages on the left.

Many foreign nationals are free to live and work in Denmark. However, some are required to hold a residence and work/study permit. The specific requirements in connection with living and working in Denmark depend, first and foremost, on a person’s nationality and qualifications.

If you are a Nordic citizen, you are free to reside, study and work in Denmark. If you are an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen seeking residence in Denmark based on the EU regulations on freedom of movement, you may be subject to special rules. More information about EU/EEA and Nordic citizens.

At the homepage, New to Denmark - the official portal for foreigners and integration, you can find information about all types of residence permit in Denmark. There you can also find all needed application forms and information about which documents are required when applying.

All applicants must book an appointment at the Embassy to submit an application and/or submit biometrics. Please contact the Embassy on +46 (0)8 406 75 00 to book an appointment. Opening hours: Monday-Wednesday 9 am–12 pm and Thursday 1pm- 4pm.
Applicants who have a valid Swedish residence permit do not need a visa for visiting Denmark and can therefore apply for Danish residence and/or work permit directly from the Immigration Service in Copenhagen and/or The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). In doing so, the additional Embassy fee of SEK 2020 will be avoided.